So, it's the new year and most people are making resolutions that are practically unattainable, so I thought I'd come up with some for the band that aren't a stretch. 1. Play more shows Our goal this year, besides a bunch of festivals in the summer, is to play at least one gig in Philly and one outside of Philly every month. So, if you live somewhere within a day's drive and you want us to play a show near you, let us know!
SPEAKING OF SHOWS!
1/10/14 - BHM @ World Cafe Live with A Fistful of Sugar for their album release show! Also playing: West Philadelphia Orchestra / Aaron and the Spell 2/1/14 - BHM @ Dawson Street Pub, Manayunk with The Valley Roots 3/7/14 - BHM @ Boot & Saddle with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust
2. Drink more bourbon Yeah, I know a lot of you are trying to cut down on drinking for the new year, but we're trying to increase ours, especially through extensive knowledge of delicious bourbons.
3. Buy some new gear All you musicians know that buying music gear is a never-ending cycle of upgrade, but seriously, we all REALLY need some new gear. (have you seen the blood on Dave's banjo head?) That is the only thing that doesn't need replacing.
4. Enter more contests Contests are exciting and for musicians there are always a ton of them. We have found that participating in Battle of the Bands contests really ups our game.
Speaking of contests!!! We are currently in the running to play in Austin, TX while SXSW is happening! This is a contest through Ernie Ball and our airfare and hotel would be taken care of! Please take a moment, go to this page and vote for us. You can vote as many times as you want, so vote early and vote often! And while you're there, please check out the tunes, watch the video and/or leave us a precious little comment at the bottom.
And last but not least, 5. Bake all the cookies I might have gone overboard on cookie baking over the holidays, so naturally I unloaded all the leftovers on the band. It seems by unanimous decision, the best cookie was the rum ball. Recipe below in another addition of
Strap on the Feedbag!
Desiree's balls (I am not calling them rum balls because it has been noted that you could substitute ANY liquor for the rum) - bourbon balls, anyone?
- This recipe was inspired by Martha Stewart's recipe, but in my normal fashion I changed a few things and didn't measure anything. Feel free to do the same. You may also substitute a store bought brownie mix.
- 3/4 C. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rum (or baileys, bourbon, snap, root, etc...)
- Some kind of sugar for rolling your balls in (I rolled mine in coarse red and green sanding sugar)
Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter and chocolate together either in double boiler or microwave.
Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture, then fold in flour. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and pour batter into baking sheet. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until top is shiny, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Break up brownie into small pieces; transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With machine on low speed, pour in liquor, and mix until crumbs start to come together to form a ball.
Shape into 1-inch balls, and roll in sugar to coat. Place your balls on a baking sheet; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Eat the balls!!!
Enjoy! - Desiree